Become an IKO instructor!
Estilo de vida is the only Kite Boarding center in Las Terrenas to have a certified IKO Examiner. All IKO Instructor Courses are lead by Leif Leriche. We offer complete IKO Instructor Training course Packages, including IKO Assistant Instructor course, IKO Instructor Training Course Level 1, MFA First Aid & CPR, with pre/post course training and shadowing to ensure you pass all requirements. We also have great opportunities for work experience and employment for successful candidates.
There is a limited number of places available in each course so booking early is essential.
IKO Assistant Instructor Course
- Be at least 16 years old (candidates under 18 years old must obtain parental consent),
- You must be at least 16 years old (candidates under 18 years old must obtain parental consent). You must be certified as an IKO Member Level 4 or have an equivalent level. To access the ITC, you have to demonstrate the required skills during the AITC-Plus. To ensure your riding skills can be properly evaluated during the AITC-Plus, you can provide a video of you demonstrating these required skills. This in case there is not enough wind during the course to perform the riding test.
- You must be able to read and write in the language the course is given
– Set up
The Assistant Instructor Course is an intensive 5 day program in which both theory and practice is taught. You’ll be working together with your fellow trainees on multiple topics. The mornings are usually dedicated to theoretical instruction, and the afternoons are for practical exercises. The topics that are covered are, amongst others, equipment knowledge, meteorology, aerodynamics, wind effects and the basics of teaching methods according to the IKO standards.
After you have demonstrated your own kiting skills, it is time for the practical lessons. The Assistant Trainer will demonstrate the teaching methods after which you will discuss and perform these same methods. In small groups you’ll be teaching the first lessons to real beginners.
After you have demonstrated your own kiting skills it is time for the practical lessons. The Assistant Trainer will demonstrate the teaching methods after which you will discuss and perform the same methods. In small groups you’ll be teaching the first lessons to real beginners
To complete the training you will have two hours to complete an online exam. Once you’ve successfully passed the course you will be certified as an IKO Assistant Instructor. If you are interested you can directly continue with the IKO Instructor Level 1 training.
IKO INSTRUCTOR LEVEL 1
Prerequisites: IKO Instructor Level 1
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a valid IKO Assistant
- Instructor certification.
- You must have a valid first aid and CPR.
- You must sign the ITC candidate waiver and participation form.
- You must be able to read and write in the language the course is given.
The IKO course is an intensive day program in which both theory and practice is taught. Naturally safety is the keyword during the entire course. The course starts with First Aid instruction, after which, if successfully completed, you will be certified as a Medic First Aid. During the remaining five days you will be learning a variety of topics., including safety standards, teaching methods according to the IKO standards, teaching psychology, and detailed analysis of each teaching component of a lesson.
Beside this basic theoretical knowledge, the practical side will also be evaluated. After showing your personal kiteboarding level, you will be teaching real beginners. The examiner will demonstrate this first, then you will have time to practice with your fellow course members. Finally, you will be critically evaluated by the other instructors and the examiner.
To round the course off, you will be teaching where various aspects will be evaluated by the examiner. There will also be a written exam to test your theoretical knowledge. If you manage to pass all the aspects, you will be the proud recipient of a IKO Instructor Level 1 diploma. More information about the IKO standards and levels can be found on the IKO website: www.ikointl.com
(10% off if you book your course 1 month before)
Price with Lodging